Visa Information

Applying for a Visa

We are delighted that you have decided to enroll in the Duke Master of Engineering program!

We look forward to having you join our community for the duration of your program. In preparation for your time at Duke, as an international student who will need a student visa (F-1 sponsored by Duke, J-1 sponsored by Fulbright, or other visa status), you will need to follow the steps below to enroll:

  1. Accept the offer of admission via the the application system.
  2. Review the estimated student expenses for the academic year.
  3. The Admissions Office will send you an email with visa instructions and a link to the Duke Visa Services Request for Temporary Visa Form, Part II. You will be required to complete this form in its entirety and to follow the step by step process outlined in the email. 
  4. In the Visa portal, upload signature page and all required documents for our Admissions team's review.

Processing your visa documents

Upon receipt of your Signature Page and supporting documents, the Admissions Team will verify your documents and complete Part I of the Duke Visa Services Request for Temporary Visa Form.

The Admissions Team and the Visa Services office reserve four weeks total from the date of receipt of ALL required documentation to issue visa documents. The Visa Services office will send visa documents to you via FedEx (after the visa documents have been issued). Only one form will be issued per student. Any unused form must be returned to the Duke Professional Master’s Program Admissions office.

Arriving on campus

You must have visa documents, a passport, and a visa stamp to enter the United States. While it may be cheaper to book your travel far in advance, you are taking a big risk. If you do not have a visa stamp, you cannot travel, and you may lose money canceling and rebooking. We strongly recommend that you wait until you have the visa stamp in your passport before you book your travel. 

You are able to enter the United States 30 days before the start of classes. Your I-20 will note the date you can enter the United States. If your visa is sponsored by Duke, you will register with Duke Visa Services during orientation. Non-Duke sponsored new students register directly at Visa Services. More information will be included in communication prior to orientation.