Video Introduction and Video Interview
Your Duke Engineering application includes a required video introduction in which you'll answer two questions. Both question prompts will be shown to you at the same time. You will have 60 seconds of preparation time.
Feel free to divide your time between the two questions as you see fit. You do not have to use the entire time if you do not need that much.
Please relax and know this is a nerve-wracking experience for everyone! It is only one part of your overall application and we are simply using it to get to know you better.
We may invite some Master of Engineering (MEng) candidates to interview before an admission decision can be posted. An interview invitation decision is made following a thorough evaluation of your complete application.
- Interviews are offered by invitation only. Rather, selected applicants are invited to interview and given instructions on moving forward in the interview process
- You may not request an interview
- Interviews are conducted by staff members and are generally completed in the weeks prior to our decision notification date. See below for Interview Tips
- An interview does not guarantee admission
While interviews allow us to learn more about you, they also give you the opportunity to learn more about Duke and see if this program is right for you. There will be time for your questions during the interview—use it!
- Duke uses Slate Scheduler and/or TimeTrade and WebEx to conduct video interviews
- You must log in to the interview via a computer. The system does not work with mobile devices (e.g., smartphones)
- Video requires reliable internet access. Free and private wireless signals should not be used. An Ethernet cable can provide a clear connection.
- We encourage you to use a headset with a microphone built-in during the video interview. A headset will prevent background noise from overpowering your voice. You may find it helpful it helpful to mute yourself when you're not talking
- Check sound settings so that you’re ready when the interview starts. If you are using headphones with a microphone, make sure those components are selected over your computer’s default audio
- Don’t let your computer's battery die mid-question! Be sure to charge your computer fully, or plug it in, before the interview
- The access link for your interview can be found in your email
- For Slate Scheduler ONLY: Once you click on the link to join the interview, you also MUST click on the "Connect" button in the right corner of your screen
For the best audio quality, join the meeting by clicking the "Join" button (circled in green in the sample screen image below) rather than the “Join by browser” option.
(Please know: The Join By Browser option will not give you as many options for support. We’ve found that applicants who choose Join By Browser cannot be heard by our interview team.)
Sample Screen Image
Also, when you've joined the meeting successfully, be sure to click "Connect to Audio" (circled in the sample screen image below) so that you can hear the interviewer, and the interviewer can hear you.
Sample Screen Image